We strive to be Your Future, Your Solution to accelerate your career!
Position: Director of Software Engineering
Location: Remote in EST or CST timezones preferred
Job Overview: Our Charlottesville client who is a leader in Open Source SaaS products is seeking to add a NEW Director of Software Engineering to their team. Our client is a non-profit and seeks a talented leader who is passionate about helping others through creating open source products that benefits the research community.
This is a Direct Hire role.
What you will be doing as a Director of Engineering
Provides technical leadership to the engineering team to enable high performance, efficient processes, and effective delivery of software projects to meet organizational goals.
- Technical staff management through effective coaching, mentoring, onboarding, performance management, and delivery processes to build capacity in management, planning, and execution of the product vision and strategy and provide opportunities for growth.
- Foster accountability among team members for estimating, delivering on time, meeting deadlines, communicating issues, and acknowledging accomplishments. Encourage ownership over areas of code, a process, a product, a project, to help accumulate accountability among team members.
- Ensure efficient and effective product development processes across the infrastructure team to enable teams for continual success in the execution of projects, priorities, and strategic objectives with effective communication, and establish regular evaluation of the processes at work in the product development projects to understand what is working well and what is not. Work alongside teams to propose refinements and improvements to continuously improve efficiency of projects moving through the process.
- Facilitates the establishment and execution of a lucid and intentional technical vision and architecture aligned with the product vision and strategy, ensuring stakeholder alignment and shared knowledge across the infrastructure team members.
- Leads collaboration with members across the infrastructure team to determine what is the current amount of technical debt, what are the highest priorities, and the biggest areas of risk for the infrastructure as it relates to the product and technical vision and scaling, and brings shared understanding and visibility to deferred maintenance and impacts, establishes priority and roadmap for continued effort to reduce accumulation of debt, and communicate our progress.
- Facilitate discussions of the senior engineering members and the senior product members to align the product vision and roadmap with the technical architecture and maintenance approach.
- Institute, model, and ensure continued strong bidirectional communication within and across teams to remove silos and increase open, transparent information flow.
- Support increased financial insights and planning to drive a cost-efficient budget strategy to achieve infrastructure sustainability goals.
- Supervisory Responsibilities: This position supervises the Software Engineering and QA teams and is likely to have several direct reports, who in turn manage others.
Skills you ideally bring to the table as a Director of Engineering
Experience at effectively leading full stack engineering teams
- Deep expertise in project management, associated tools (e.g., JIRA), and agile development practice
- Efficient technical troubleshooting
- Strong technical insight to support resourcing, prediction, and management of software engineering team
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Deep experience leading, mentoring, and managing teams (hiring, managing, performance reviews)
- Organizational skills and ability to work on multiple projects and/or assignments simultaneously
- Understand the deployment lifecycle from design, build, test, deploy, and evaluation of success
- Experience with API-powered web applications
- Experience with Python, Ember, React or Angular with PostgreSQL desired.
- Cloud experience with Google Cloud and Kubernetes desired
- Experience in messaging services like RabbitMQ and ElasticSearch desired
- A good understanding of Agile, TDD, and CI/CD methods and tools
- Experience with SaaS products and non-profits is highly desired.
- A strong understanding of Open Source concepts and processes to create Open Source tools/products high desired.
Learn more about Saige Partners on Facebook or LinkedIn.
Saige Partners, one of the fastest growing technology and talent companies in the Midwest, believes in people with a passion to help them succeed. We are in the business of helping professionals Build Careers, Not Jobs. Saige Partners believes employees are the most valuable asset to building a thriving and successful company culture. Contact us to learn more about the opportunity below or check out other opportunities at https://careers.saigepartners.com/.